Update: For information on resetting Kindle 3 or Kindle DX please read this post.
The first Generations of Amazon’s popular ebook reader Kindle 1 and 2 had some firmware issues that cause the device to be buggy. Unfortunately resetting your kindle series 1 or 2 may be the only way to get them back to operational condition. Follow the instruction below to perform a factory reset in a few easy steps.
How to Reset Kindle 2
Resetting Kindle 2 is easy, all you need to do is follow 3 steps below:
- Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds and then release.
- Once your kindle is off remove the batteries for 10 seconds and reinsert it back.
- Turn On the Kindle.
How to Reset Kindle 1
Reseting Kindle 1 is a bit more complicated than Kindle 2 or 3. Follow the steps outlined below:
- First, you need something pointed like a paper clip or the tip of your earing.
- Now, open the back cover of your kindle by pressing it firmly while sliding it to the right using your thumbs.
- You will then see the Kindle Reset Button as shown on the picture below (Fig 1). Use the paper-clip or your earing’s pointed tip to press on the reset button.
- A few seconds after pressing the button, your kindle will then reboot and will be restored.